Interactive Workshop – Saturday 10th June 2023
This full day workshop provides practical way to learn how to apply a selection of Graham Fitch’s practice tools in your daily practising and within the context of your pieces. The format is similar to that of our recent deep learning & memorisation workshop and is designed as a hands-on complement to our previous practice tools presentations.
How it works
The workshop will be divided up into several sessions focussing on one or more practice tools. Graham will give an introductory presentation for each of these sessions and will then demonstrate them in action by working with in-person participants on exercises and examples created for this event.
The sessions will also include “break-out” opportunities for the online audience to try out the examples and exercises on their keyboards at home. Graham will be on stand-by to give assistance during these sessions. The day will conclude with a general “clinic” in which Graham will address a selection of practising-related queries submitted in advance by both our online and in-person audience.
The workshop will explore the following topics through practical exercises and examples:
- Introduction and demonstration of three essential tools for productive practising
- A tried and tested way to build speed while enhancing your technical control
- How to use controlled stops, rhythms and accents for ironing out stumbles, achieving accuracy and developing reflexes for speed
- Techniques for learning your pieces on a deeper level for more freedom in performance
The examples and exercises will be drawn from repertoire at an intermediate level and will be suitable for pianists from a late elementary level (approx. grade 3 / 4) through to advanced levels.
Worksheets including the examples and exercises will be sent out in advance of the event. All participants will also receive high-quality recordings of the sessions which will allow you to watch and try-out the exercises in your own time thereafter.
Here is what some of the participants had to say about previous events using this format:
“Even though I have attended other workshops on these topics before, I found this more practical format to be incredibly useful and engaging!”
“I loved the well-constructed sessions with a balanced approach of information provided combined with a chance to try out ideas at my own piano in private.”
“I enjoyed the “hands on” element, instantly putting into practice the topic of discussion is very beneficial. I would almost like to have this format all the time!”
The workshop will run from 10:30am to approximately 17:15 and will be divided up into several sessions with short breaks in-between (please note that end times for each session are approximate):
Session 1: The Three S’s (10:30am – 11:45am)
Session 2: Chaining (11:45am – 13:00)
LUNCH BREAK (13:00 – 14:00)
Session 3: Controlled Stops (14:00 – 15:15)
Session 4: Deconstruction (15:30 – 16:45)
General Q & A (16:45 – approx 17:15)
Ticket options & prices
In-person tickets – A limited number of in-person tickets are available @ £100 and include refreshments, a light lunch, worksheets and recordings after the event. Click here to book your place.
Online tickets – If you can’t make it to London, you can still join us online for the event. Online tickets include access to live streaming of all sessions, the opportunity to participate in Q&A and links to resources and recordings. Online tickets cost £75 (£45 for Online Academy subscribers) and can be purchased here.
Please see our FAQ below for further information or click here to contact us if you have any other questions.
Located in Islington, our new studios have been configured as a dedicated space for shoots, streaming and live events. Despite its central location, the venue boasts almost 2000sqf of beautifully decorated space and a 2009 Yamaha S6 grand piano. It’s well situated for access by public transport being roughly 10 mins walk from Highbury & Islington (Victoria Line) and Caledonian Road (Piccadilly Line) tube stations. Caledonian Road & Barnsbury Rail Station (London Overground) is only a few minutes away and Kings Cross & St Pancras International is a 5 min taxi ride.
Frequently asked questions
- How does this differ from Graham’s previous practising workshops? This workshop covers similar material but in a much more detailed, hands-on manner. The workshop goes beyond the previous presentations by giving a set of exercises carefully designed to show you how to apply each of the concepts and tools yourself.
- How does online participation work? Graham will present each concept and then demonstrate it in practice with volunteers from our in-person audience. If you’re joining online you will also have the opportunity to try the exercises out from the comfort of your home and to ask questions at various stages during the sessions. You will receive worksheets with exercises in advance of the event and the recordings afterwards. Therefore you can follow the material in your own time if you can’t join us live or wish to revisit it afterwards.
- What level is this workshop suitable for? The exercises and examples will be suitable for a wide range of levels from late elementary upwards. They have been carefully designed to illustrate concepts and to give you a tangible experience in applying them yourself rather than to test your proficiency as a pianist.
- Is any preparation required? No, we will be using prescribed worksheets and exercises that will be sent to you in advance. Although we will provide example pieces for the exercises, you may also wish to use your own pieces for the practical aspects of the workshop.
- I want to join in person – do I have to play? This is entirely voluntary and you will not be expected to work with Graham unless you want to! If you choose not to, you will still receive the recording and worksheets which will allow you to try the exercises in private after the event.
- Is the venue accessible for wheelchair users? Unfortunately due to the layout of the building, the venue is not accessible for wheelchair users as there are two flights of stairs and no lift access.
- What is the cancellation policy? Please see terms and conditions regarding our cancellation policy.
- Is accommodation included? Accommodation and meals (other than refreshments and a light lunch on each of the days) is not included and participants will need to make their own arrangements.
- Do you cater for any specific dietary requirements? Yes, you can tell us about any dietary requirements that you have on our booking form. We will do our best to accommodate you but we can’t guarantee that our food or drink are allergen free.
- Are there any discounts for Online Academy subscribers for in-person tickets? Due to the costs of hosting an event of this nature in central London and the limited places available, we regret we’re unable to offer discounts to Online Academy subscribers for in-person tickets. We will however give Online Academy subscribers an exclusive window to take advantage of discounted early-bird tickets.
- I would love to participate but I’m nervous about playing in front of others! Working with Graham during this session is entirely optional therefore you do not need to play unless you wish to. The exercises have been designed to demonstrate specific tools and concepts rather than proficiency. Furthermore, most players attending a piano course will feel nervous playing in front of the group and Graham’s approach is to recognise and respect this, creating a safe and non-judgmental space for everyone.
Terms & conditions
Our terms and conditions for bookings for in-person tickets as of 01/08/2022 are as follows:
- Fees for in-person tickets are payable upfront in full at the time of booking
- You will receive a refund of 50% if you need to cancel any time up until two weeks of the event start date (for any reason)
- The event will be streamed live and recorded for the benefit of participants and an online audience. Therefore by participating in-person, you consent to our recording of the event and usage of the recordings for this purpose.
- In the event of a cancellation, you will be provided with digital access to the event and the recordings thereof
- If the event cannot be run as originally planned, we will give you the option to rebook for another date or a full refund
- We recommend that you take out suitable insurance including cancellation protection, particularly if substantial travel expenses are likely to be incurred
- You are responsible for informing us of any particular dietary requirements, allergies and intolerances. Our catering team will do their best to accommodate such requests but we can’t guarantee that our food or drink are allergen free.
- Please ensure you have any medication with you and alert a member of the team in the event of an allergic reaction.