Saturday 14th January
Our first event for 2023 takes place at our studios on Saturday 14th January and starts off with a presentation by Graham Fitch on awakening the imagination and finding personal approaches to interpretation. This presentation will then be followed by performance workshops for intermediate and advanced players.
Presentation: Awakening the Imagination – Learning the notes is only part of the process and developing one’s own individual artistic image of a piece is essential for a satisfying, meaningful performance. In this workshop, Graham Fitch will show how to open up your imagination by exploring possible narratives and imagery using a selection of pieces from all levels. Graham will give ideas and inspire you to create interpretations that are personal and enable you to play with conviction, freedom and expression. Click here to find out more about this session or to purchase an online ticket.
Performance & Practising Workshops – The afternoon sessions feature performance workshops for pianists at an intermediate level or above. The performance workshop is Graham’s take on a masterclass giving in-person participants the chance to play a piece (or part thereof) and then work with Graham directly on general feedback or specific areas.
The day starts @ 11:00am with Graham’s presentation followed by a light lunch. The performance workshops will commence @ 13:30. Ticket holders may join the studio audience for the presentation or opt to join later for the performance workshops.
Located in Islington, our new studios have been configured as a dedicated space for shoots, streaming and live events. Despite its central location, the venue boasts almost 2000sqf of beautifully decorated space and a 2009 Yamaha S6 grand piano. It’s well situated for access by public transport being roughly 10 mins walk from Highbury & Islington (Victoria Line) and Caledonian Road (Piccadilly Line) tube stations. Caledonian Road & Barnsbury Rail Station (London Overground) is only a few minutes away and Kings Cross & St Pancras International is a 5 min taxi ride.
Ticket options & prices
Online Tickets – If you missed this event you can still purchase access to recording and resources for the online presentation. Click here to purchase an online ticket for the presentation for £40 (£24 for Online Academy subscribers).
Please see our FAQ below for further information or click here to contact us if you have any other questions.
Frequently asked questions
- What level of playing does this course cater for? The course will be suitable for intermediate to advanced pianists e.g. ABRSM / Trinity Grade 5 and upwards.
- Can I perform remotely / online in one of the workshops? These specific events are only open to in-person performers, but we do run separate online performance workshops which you would be most welcome to participate in.
- Is the venue accessible for wheelchair users? Unfortunately due to the layout of the building, the venue is not accessible for wheelchair users as there are two flights of stairs and no lift access.
- What is the cancellation policy? Please see terms and conditions regarding our cancellation policy.
- Is accommodation included? Accommodation and meals (other than refreshments and a light lunch on each of the days) is not included and participants will need to make their own arrangements.
- Do you cater for any specific dietary requirements? Yes, you can tell us about any dietary requirements that you have on our booking form. We will do our best to accommodate you but we can’t guarantee that our food or drink are allergen free.
- Are there any discounts for Online Academy subscribers for in-person tickets? Due to the costs of hosting an event of this nature in central London and the limited places available, we regret we’re unable to offer discounts to Online Academy subscribers for in-person tickets. We will however give Online Academy subscribers an exclusive window to take advantage of discounted early-bird tickets.
- I would love to participate but I’m nervous about playing in front of others! Most players attending a piano course will feel nervous playing in front of the group. Graham’s approach is to recognise and respect this, creating a safe and non-judgmental space for everyone.
Terms & conditions
Our terms and conditions for bookings for in-person tickets as of 01/08/2022 are as follows:
- Fees for in-person tickets are payable upfront in full at the time of booking
- You will receive a refund of 50% if you need to cancel any time up until two weeks of the event start date (for any reason)
- The event will be streamed live and recorded for the benefit of participants and an online audience. Therefore by participating in-person, you consent to our recording of the event and usage of the recordings for this purpose.
- In the event of a cancellation, you will be provided with digital access to the event and the recordings thereof
- If the event cannot be run as originally planned, we will give you the option to rebook for another date or a full refund
- We recommend that you take out suitable insurance including cancellation protection, particularly if substantial travel expenses are likely to be incurred
- You are responsible for informing us of any particular dietary requirements, allergies and intolerances. Our catering team will do their best to accommodate such requests but we can’t guarantee that our food or drink are allergen free.
- Please ensure you have any medication with you and alert a member of the team in the event of an allergic reaction.