For Pianists of All Levels & Teachers
Saturday 18th March 2023 (14:00 – 17:00 GMT)
Are there technical issues that are holding you back in your playing or your teaching? Join us online or in-person in central London on Saturday 18th March for a technique clinic with acclaimed author, teacher and pianist, Penelope Roskell.
In this half-day workshop, you will be able to:
- Work with Penelope directly and get help with trouble spots in repertoire or studies
- Have questions answered on any aspects of technique
- Watch Penelope in action as she works with pianists of all levels
- Learn how to apply Penelope’s approach in depth to practical examples
- Gain greater insight into how to problem solve in the future
Who is it for?
This workshop is open to:
- Pianists of all levels who are either new to Penelope’s approach, or who have already studied her book The Complete Pianist and would like to study some of the techniques in more depth.
- Teachers who are new to Penelope’s work, or who have studied her course Teaching Healthy Expressive Piano Technique and would like the opportunity to observe Penelope in action.
How it works
This half-day workshop will take a practical, interactive format in which Penelope will respond to questions on any aspect of technique. Participants, both in-person and online, are invited to submit questions at least one week in advance. If time allows, Penelope will also respond to additional questions from all participants at various stages during the workshop.
In-person participants will have the opportunity to work directly with Penelope in studio and online participants may share their cameras to obtain live feedback if they wish to. All online participants are also encouraged to be at their instruments during the session to try-out any of the exercises demonstrated by Penelope while working with participants.
The sessions will be filmed in studio and all ticket holders will receive high-definition recordings after the event. Therefore if you can’t join us live, you can still watch the workshop at your convenience afterwards.
This video is an excerpt featuring Penelope working with a participant in her elementary technique workshop from November 2022 (more information on this workshop is available here):
The workshop starts at 14:00 GMT and will run until 17:00 with two fifteen minute breaks.
Ticket options & prices
Online Tickets – If you missed this event you can still purchase access to recordings here for £60 (£36 for Online Academy subscribers)
Please see our FAQ below for further information or click here to contact us if you have any other questions.
Located in Islington, our new studios have been configured as a dedicated space for shoots, streaming and live events. Despite its central location, the venue boasts almost 2000sqf of beautifully decorated space and a 2009 Yamaha S6 grand piano. It’s well situated for access by public transport being roughly 10 mins walk from Highbury & Islington (Victoria Line) and Caledonian Road (Piccadilly Line) tube stations. Caledonian Road & Barnsbury Rail Station (London Overground) is only a few minutes away and Kings Cross & St Pancras International is a 5 min taxi ride.
Frequently asked questions
- How does online participation work? All participants (online and in-person) will have the opportunity to send questions through in advance of the session. If you are joining us online then you also have the option to work directly with Penelope over Zoom during the session if you wish to.
- What do I need in terms of set-up to participate online? If you would like to work with Penelope online then you will need to be at your piano with your camera and microphone set-up. You will need to ensure that your Zoom settings are suitable for music making (we will provide further instructions on this) and we do recommend using a cable connection (rather than wifi) if at all possible.
- What level is this workshop suitable for? This workshop is suitable for pianists of all levels and piano teachers.
- Is any preparation required? No, however if you would like to get help from Penelope during this session then you will have the opportunity to submit questions in advance.
- I want to join in person – do I have to play? This is entirely voluntary and you will not be expected to work with Penelope unless you want to!
- Is the venue accessible for wheelchair users? Unfortunately due to the layout of the building, the venue is not accessible for wheelchair users as there are two flights of stairs and no lift access.
- What is the cancellation policy? Please see terms and conditions regarding our cancellation policy.
- Is accommodation included? Accommodation and meals (other than refreshments and a light lunch on each of the days) is not included and participants will need to make their own arrangements.
- Do you cater for any specific dietary requirements? Yes, you can tell us about any dietary requirements that you have on our booking form. We will do our best to accommodate you but we can’t guarantee that our food or drink are allergen free.
- Are there any discounts for Online Academy subscribers for in-person tickets? Due to the costs of hosting an event of this nature in central London and the limited places available, we regret we’re unable to offer discounts to Online Academy subscribers for in-person tickets.
- I would love to participate but I’m nervous about playing in front of others! Working with Penelope during this session is entirely optional therefore you do not need to play unless you wish to. The focus of this event is problem solving and testing your knowledge or proficiency as a pianist. Furthermore, most players attending a piano course will feel nervous playing in front of the group and Penelope’s approach is to recognise and respect this, creating a safe and non-judgmental space for everyone.
Terms & conditions
Our terms and conditions for bookings for in-person tickets as of 01/08/2022 are as follows:
- Fees for in-person tickets are payable upfront in full at the time of booking
- You will receive a refund of 50% if you need to cancel any time up until two weeks of the event start date (for any reason)
- The event will be streamed live and recorded for the benefit of participants and an online audience. Therefore by participating in-person, you consent to our recording of the event and usage of the recordings for this purpose.
- In the event of a cancellation, you will be provided with digital access to the event and the recordings thereof
- If the event cannot be run as originally planned, we will give you the option to rebook for another date or a full refund
- We recommend that you take out suitable insurance including cancellation protection, particularly if substantial travel expenses are likely to be incurred
- You are responsible for informing us of any particular dietary requirements, allergies and intolerances. Our catering team will do their best to accommodate such requests but we can’t guarantee that our food or drink are allergen free.
- Please ensure you have any medication with you and alert a member of the team in the event of an allergic reaction.