One of the most common questions my readers ask is how they can learn new pieces more effectively. As it turns out, one of the most popular posts of all time at www.practisingthepiano.com is “But It Takes Me Ages To Learn A New Piece!”. Therefore, I’m very pleased to announce the launch of a new series of resources on the Online Academy this week which directly addresses how to go about learning new pieces more efficiently – it’s called From the Ground Up.
Building on a similar approach and principles covered in my series Deconstructing the Score, From the Ground Up is a series devoted to learning individual pieces using outlines and reduced scores that help you to practise more effectively, memorise more consciously, and interpret music more creatively. Each From the Ground Up edition starts with a reduced score or foundation which reveals the essential structure of the music. Detail is then added in layers through successive scores thus enabling learning a piece from the ground up rather than the top down.
Authored by Ken Johansen, co-founder of the Read Ahead sight-reading programme and professor at the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University, the series will feature popular works from throughout the repertoire, starting with two works by Schumann and JS Bach respectively. Please click here to find out more about From the Ground Up on the Online Academy or on one of the following links to view the available editions:
- Schumann – Von fremden Ländern und Menschen (from Kinderszenen)
- Bach – Little Prelude in F (from the Notebook for Wilhelm Friedrich Bach)
- Beethoven – Sonatina in G
- Grieg – Arietta (Lyric Pieces, Op. 12, No. 1)
- Chopin – Nocturne in E-Flat (Op. 9, No. 2)
- Schumann – Album for the Young (No. 30)
- Chopin – Waltz in E minor (Op. Posth)
- Mozart – Sonata in G, K283 (1st mvt)
- Mendelssohn – Song Without Words (Op. 19b, No. 1)
How to access From the Ground Up?
If you are already a subscriber to the Online Academy then all From the Ground Up content is available to you as part of your subscription. Otherwise if you are not a subscriber and wish to access From the Ground Up, please click here to find out more about the Online Academy or on one of the options below to subscribe:
- Monthly subscription – Subscribe for £9.99 a month to get full, unlimited access to all Online Academy articles and updates (click here to sign-up for this option)
- Annual subscription – Save over 15% on the monthly subscription with an annual subscription for £99.99 per year and get free eBooks and editions worth over £70! (click here to sign-up for this option)